[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Word Definition

Jan Textor textor at oncable.dk
Tue Oct 15 01:40:05 PDT 2002

According to my Polish-English dictionary a "sol~tys" is a village
administrator.  A mayor is called "burmistrz" (from the German
"Buergermeister").

As to being a frequent witness to christenings: this can easily be explained
by the fact that the localities which we call towns in most cases were
nothing more than small villages with less than 20 households.  The
"sol~tys" was just another farmer chosen to be the "village administrator"
by his neighbours, and many of these were also his relatives.

Hope this helps.
Jan Texor, Denmark