[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] translation help

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Fri Oct 25 07:23:17 PDT 2002

    I don't consider myself a farmer and I speak little German so my
qualifications are pretty shaky, but here are possible translations for some
of the terms. 8>)

Rosswerk = Work horse ? (as opposed to one used solely for riding)
Spitzdrescher - has me baffled ( a thresher of some kind)
Breitdrescher - as above
Getreidereinger = Grain cleaner (to take out chaff and other foreign materials
from grain)
Muhlenwalze = Roller mill (for rolling grain such as rolled oats cereal, also
used extensively for preparing grain for cattle consumption)

John Marsch
I hope some German-speaking farmers can help me with translating some terms
for farm machines.  They don't occur in my Cassell's dictionary.  Here they

Rosswerk (isn't this a threshing machine drawn by horses?)
M|hlenwalze (mill roller?)

Thanks for any help.

Dick Benert

More information about the Ger-Poland-Volhynia mailing list