[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Bobrowniki in county Lipno

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 19 06:00:53 PDT 2002

Two suggestions as to what might have happened here:

It was common in Lutheran communities some distance from the parish centre
to register at the Catholic Church.  Remember, these are CIVIL records
collected by the churches on behalf of the government.  In most cases, such
records are simply mixed together with everyone else.  Perhaps this parish
priest decided on his own to keep a separate book for the Lutheran people
in his area.  Rose - you may want to browse through the Catholic records
before and after this time frame to see if the Lutheran surnames are mixed
in there.

Another possibility is some kind of dispute between the Lutheran community
and the Lutheran authorities.  There are several references in Kneifel's
book to those in remote communities complaining about the distance to the
parish centre and requesting the establishment of a new parish, or at least
a Kantorate, closer by.  Perhaps the Lutherans in this area were protesting
such lack of service by the Lutheran Church and perhaps that is why these
records only cover a short period.