[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (Ger-Poland-Volhynia) Novograd-Volynskiy

JSchu9014 at aol.com JSchu9014 at aol.com
Sat Sep 21 17:53:06 PDT 2002

Searching HAUPT, M|NCHO (Mincho, Minchau)

Not sure if there is an answer to my question, but I have been trying  to
determine the various levels of the Volhynia area governments i.e. Province,
District, sub-district, etc.

My grandfather was born in 1891 in the colony of "Bubny" also called
Gl|ckstal.  According to his birth/baptism record his birth was registered
thru the District of the St. Petersburg Evangelical Lutheran Consistory in
the Zhitomir Parish, Volynskaya (Volhynia) Province.  This certificate is
written in Russian and I assume was registered in  the local church or a
local government office that would in turn record the birth with the central
Evangelical Lutheran Consistory, in this case St. Petersburg.  (Although the
record did not show up when we had someone look in the St. Petersburg files
after having no luck with the online pixel library.

In 1911 he applied for a passport, also in Russian.  The passport was issued
by "Baranovskaya Subdistrict Administration in the Volynskaya Province,
Novograd-Volynskiy District.  Can anyone tell me what is Novograd?  What does
it represent?  Is it or was it a central city for the area? Is it a Russian
word that represents District?

I have an 80 year old Uncle who is driving me mad with repeatedly asking me
these questions along with the questioning of where to look for records.
Since the colony was in the near vacinity of Barnaovka (Village), which was
where Bubny colonists had to go for mail and probably to record government
requirements for land, etc, would land records or church records  be
available in Barnaovka?

Since I could not explain what the word Novograd represented and he does not
want to accept that records are more likely to have been sent on to a central
location such as Zhitomir Archives or were destroyed, I though perhaps I
would attempt to get some answers from others who are also searching in the
same area.  If anyone can answer any of these question, I would greatly
appreciate the help!

FAMILY:  HAUPT, M|NCHO

Janice Schultz
jschu9014 at aol.com