[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Historical questions, and families Gut/Gutt, Hammer/Homer, Wegrzyn

Bill Fife wmfife at telus.net
Tue Apr 1 11:33:35 PST 2003

Hi Doug,

After the partition of Poland in 1772, Galicia became part of Austria.  In
1774 Maria Theresa (Empress of Austria) issued a settlement charter inviting
foreign craftsmen to Galicia.   After her death, her son Joseph II issued a
second settlement charter (1781) inviting settlement of the flat lands in
Galicia for farming.  It is this request for settlement that brought large
numbers of Germans to Galicia.  There were several dozen German villages
established in Galicia by these people.

These Villages maintained their German heritage, language, and religion,
throughout their time in Galicia and have always considered themselves as
Germans, even though they may have been Austrian by birth.  These German
Villages continued to exist from the 1780s until virtually all Germans were
moved from Galicia during WWII.

There were some GUTs in Galicia during this time and most of them were
Catholic.

I have some files on Germans living in Galicia during this time.  If you
find some specific dates and places send me a private note and I will see if
I can come up with a match.

Bill