[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dubno area information

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 6 08:38:49 PDT 2003

Actually, the western half of Volhynia with Dubno in it was part of Poland
between 1921 and WW II so both documents are correct based on the time
frame in which they were created.

Using ShtetlSeeker at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm I
can find quite a few Zelenaya in Ukraine but none in the area of
Volhynia.  I also considered our list of known German settlements in
Volhynia and could not find anything close in spelling.

One possibility, though significantly different in spelling, is the village
of Silanowica located about 32 km due west of Dubno.

If you post other family details that you might have (names, birth dates,
etc.) we may be able to help further.

The best source of info online is the SGGEE website and its publications
which you have already found because you subscribed to this mailing
list.  However, it is often generalized for all of Volhynia and Russian
Poland rather than specific to Dubno.  It is still the best source though
for records and data.

At 08:45 AM 06/04/2003 -0400, Cubcruiser at aol.com wrote:
>I am researching my grandparents origins.  I believe they came from the
>Dubno, Ukraine area, based on information I've found.  I would like to find
>out if anyone knows of a good source of information on this specific area
>(online or publications).  I'm also trying to identify the town from which
>they came from.  From their 1912 ship manifest records, it appears to be
>something like " Selenaja , Wolhyn, Russia ."  I tied this to the Dubno area
>based on my grandfathers naturalization paperwork (late 1930s - early 1940s),
>which listed his hometown as Dubne, Poland.  (there is a Dubne, Poland today,
>but Dubno, Ukraine seemed to be the more likely candidate - geography,
>agriculture, history, etc.).  He was German, a Lutheran and a farmer, and
>served in the Russian military just prior to departing for the U.S.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca