[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dubno area information/Schoen, Hugert

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 6 22:10:30 PDT 2003

I am sure you will have at least partial success using the St. Pete
records.  Because there are some very unusual spelling variations for your
family, I am going to suggest that you use the Pixel site to view them at
http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/stpete/volhynia/

In the records, we find  Wilhelm Schoen and Karoline Langert having
children at a place transcribed as Lalannaja which is certainly very close
spelling to Selenaja especially when you consider that the S and L in old
script are quite similar.  There is also a Huget family having children in
that same village with many ? in the extractions of the region which
suggest to me that the writing is difficult to read and this could very
easily be Hugert.

My problem is that Lalannaja (now possibly Selenaja) is one of the villages
I have never been able to find within Volhynia.  There is a clue in that
the Huget family having children there also lived at Metnitze (= Mytnica)
about 6 km south of Beresteczko and very near the border with Galicia.  The
only places in the general region I can find that might be close to
Selenaja spelling are Solonow and Silanowica.

I have noted that you show a difference in age between Wilhelm Jr. and his
sister, Paulina of 28 years.  This would be extremely unusual if not
impossible.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca