[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lalannaja, Mitnija

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 10 09:53:48 PDT 2003

At 09:01 AM 10/04/2003 -0700, Gary Warner wrote:
>I found that Mitnija is on the route of the pastor as follows:
>
>Karlswald to Fuerstendorf to Radz_itow to Mitnija to Kopan

Gary's advice is excellent.  Karlswalde and Fuerstendorf are a bit out of
the loop but Radziwillow and Kopan fit the region SW and WSW of Dubno so
that is one more bit of evidence that Mitnija probably should be Mytnica.

>I did a similar search for Lalannaja and found the sequence as
>
>Lalannaja to Metnitza (Mytnica) to Andrejew to Toporischtsche to Helenowka

As with many research options, the one Gary describes is a very useful tool
but, in this case, it doesn't work as well because the records jump from
the Dubno region to that near the city of Zhitomir.  You might find a
better set of villages in a different year.  However, it does confirm that
Lalannaja is probably near Mytnica.

NOW - it is interesting to note the similarity between the ending of
Mitnija and that of Lalannaja (possibly Selenaja).  Is it possible that
some form of minor name change occurred some 100+ years ago?  The "ja" is
certainly a distinctively different sound than "ca".  However, if this is
some form of language / spelling variant, then we could have:

Mitnija = Mytnica

Selenaja = Silanowca (a possible location I suggested earlier)

Silanowca is only 2 km north of Kopan.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca