[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Deutsche Volksliste"

lyduhett at sunflower.com lyduhett at sunflower.com
Sun Apr 13 16:57:31 PDT 2003

>From the context of the following, I am going to stick my neck out
and offer a reply.  During the Nazi period, Volk not only meant 'folk'
but also 'nation' and 'ethnic'.  Germans who were citizens of Germany
proper were referred to as Reichsdeutsche.  Ethnic Germans, who lived
outside the Reich in other countries, were referred to as Volksdeutsche
[ethnic Germans].  During the period of German occupation of the eastern
territories, families that had Polish surnames Germanized their surnames
in order to fit in.  In the novelle, Cat and Mouse, by G|nter Grass, examples
of this are given.  One that I recall was Gusewski which was Germanized to
Gusewing.  Because of the long association between Prussia and Polish
lands, many Poles had become Germanized in every way but name.
The Kaschuben or Cassubians and Masurians had been part of Germany since
the Middle Ages.  (G|nter Grass's grandmother was a Kaschubin, and in his
novel Dog Years, makes reference to her.)
German racial policies during the years 1933-l945 made the making of
lists such as the Volkliste imperative.  The Germans made up such lists
for Ukraine, Crimea, etc.
Now that is my theory of what the Volkliste is.  If I have deviated from what
others might know please send information to me.
Thank you

LDHettinger