[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Breitkreitz/Breithrenz

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Apr 14 06:45:51 PDT 2003

>Is it possible that Breitkreitz and Breithrenz may sound similar when translated from German to English?  I am unable to figure this out as do not speak any german.  Also could someone please tell me where Bessarabia was located.  Am having difficulty finding that one.

Hi Dolores,
BREITHRENZ seems to be a misspelling (think of the similarity of h and k
resp. of n and u). BREITKREUTZ instead is quite common in Germany. The
origin of the name was most probably the special broad-shouldered build
of a family (Kreuz = cross, but also the human shoulder region; "er hat
ein breites Kreuz" means "he is broad-shouldered").

In the German telephone register I found
2 x BREITKREIZ,
192 x BREITKREUTZ,
388 x BREITKREUZ

The spelling BREITKREIZ is dialect, BREITKREUTZ is old-fashioned
(18/19th century). Curiously there is not one event of BREITKREITZ in
Germany but lots of them in the US. So I think the American events
result of the dialect of one or two BREITKREIZ immigrants who changed
the Z into TZ in favour of the German pronounciation.

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany