[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Breitkreitz/Breithrenz

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 14 07:44:33 PDT 2003

At 06:59 AM 14/04/2003 -0600, Delores Stevens wrote:
>Is it possible that Breitkreitz and Breithrenz may sound similar when
>translated from German to English?  I am unable to figure this out as do
>not speak any german.  Also could someone please tell me where Bessarabia
>was located.  Am having difficulty finding that one.

Hi Delores.

Gunther's response is correct.  In assessing material you find, you have to
consider both translation and transliteration.  The last is the effort of
someone, often unfamiliar with foreign surnames, to copy in some way what
someone else wrote many years ago, often with sloppy handwriting.  This is
especially a problem in such sources as the Ellis Island records and the
St. Petersburg extractions which are on line.  When you think of the
strokes required to write out Breitkreitz, one can easily visualize how it
might have been interpreted as Breithrenz.

Kreitz / Kreutz also stands alone as a surname.  Since the Germanic "eu"
and the English / German "ei" have a similar (though not identical) sound,
you often can find this as a variant spelling - with or without the "t" as
Gunther pointed out.

If you can find Moldavia on a modern map, on the west side of Ukraine, you
will have found Bessarabia. I believe that some small portions of
historical Bessarabia on the south and east sides might now be in Ukraine.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca