[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Breitkreitz & Bessarabia

Carolyn G. Schott cgschott at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 18:25:48 PDT 2003

Jerry's right, Bessarabia is roughly equivalent to today's Moldova.
However, there's a chunk of land between Moldova and east to the Black Sea,
between Odessa and the Danube delta that are currently part of Ukraine, and
this is also part of Bessarabia.  In fact, this area probably had the
highest concentration of German villages in Bessarabia.

Tell me about your Breitkreitz family - my many-greats-grandfather was
Johann D. Breitkreutz.  He was supposedly born in Bogonia/Brzeziny/Poland,
and came to Bessarabia (the village of Alt Elft) around 1816.  Could there
be a connection?

Carolyn Schott