[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Elisabeth and Luise

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Apr 15 12:49:38 PDT 2003

One must move slowly and with discernment interpreting names.  Most of
the records in question have been translated into Polish and Russian
for the civil authorities. Transliterated may be more fitting.. . hence
your "considerable frequency of."
The choice of given names by parents was influenced by religious,
ethnic and cultural background of the family.  Luise (Louisa) was the
most popular Prussian queen.  My grandmother had the given name Luise.
Even though families now lived in Russian Poland they chose to quietly
show their heart allegiance to the Prussian king. Along with Luise, the
given names Friedrich and Wilhelm were popular.  I bear the name "Otto"
with a Saxon twang, and my father Alexander, the given name of the
Czar. There are also Elizabeths in the family usually with familiar
Augusts and Johanns.

Religious background, political leanings and geographical location will
serve as indicators.
Group the names of a family segment. . . Do their choice of given names
indicate any political or religious leanings.  This may point to a
choice of Lizz or Louisa.

Given names had more significance back then than just "cute."
Cluster Effect always comes to the fore.
-Otto

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 02:15  PM, Eleanor L Haas wrote:

> We know an Elisabeth in Alsace but she goes by "Lise" pronounced
> "Lisa".
> . . Eleanor
>
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:19:35 -0700 Rose Ingram <roseingram at shaw.ca>
> writes:
>> I have seen much of this too.  I can only think she was called
>> "Lizzie or
>> Lissie" and the recorder mistook took it for Luise.
>>
>> Rose Ingram
>>

>>>     There appears to be a considerable frequency of
>> interchangeability
>> between the given names of Elisabeth and Luise in German Lutheran
>> church
>> records from Poland.
>>>     For example, a birth record might indicate the child's name as
>> being
>> Elisabeth but in a death record it might be recorded as Luise.  This
>> occurs
>> frequently enough to make one believe there is some sort of
>> connection
>> between the two names.
>>>     Does anyone have a likely explanation for this?
>>>
>>> With many thanks,
>>> John Marsch

...  Otto

                     " The Zen moment..." wk. of April 13, 2003-