[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Prussian Names

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Apr 18 09:05:53 PDT 2003

> Does the male name AUGUST have particular Prussian
> overtones?

Perhaps. . .   Saxon allegiance with the Prussians. see URLS

Elector Frederick Augustus of Saxony was elected King of Poland in 1697
as Augustus II. Kings of Saxony reigned Poland until 1764.

... August II, "the Strong," (1670-1733) is the ruler of Saxony first,
then Poland.  He was of the Wettin Dynasty.  He ruled Poland from
1697-1704 and again from 1710-1733.

As indication only, of choice of the given names John, Albert, George...
<http://histclo.hispeed.com/royal/gers/royal-sax.htm>

<http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:ughDPaLkVlYC:hem.passagen.se/
thomasj/GP/al_sample_sx.pdf+august.+saxon+king+poland&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>

<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/dres/dres9.html>

On Efrazine/Euphrosine:
I had an aunt and cousins bearing the name.
Popular among the Germans. . . ??
Belarusian influence?? -Euphrosine of Polotsk -the 16th - first half of
the 17th centuries     < http://archives.gov.by/ekultz/eSpravzod.htm>
-May be stepping stones of a nomadic trail-

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 10:26  AM, Magton wrote:

> "The choice of given names by parents was influenced
> by religious,
> ethnic and cultural background of the family.  Luise
> (Louisa) was the
> most popular Prussian queen
> Even though families now lived in Russian Poland they
> chose to quietly
> show their heart allegiance to the Prussian king.
> Along with Luise, the
> given names Friedrich and Wilhelm were popular.  I
> bear the name "Otto"
> with a Saxon twang, and my father Alexander, the given
> name of the
> Czar. There are also Elizabeths in the family usually
> with familiar
> Augusts and Johanns"
>
> Does the male name AUGUST have particular Prussian
> overtones?  Can anyone shed some light on a female
> name like EUPHROSINA ??(spelled EUFROZYNA in the
> Polishj writing from German Lutheran records ) I am
> not sure what the German spelling of that name would
> be ? I know it's an ancient , isoteric kind of Saint -
> name . Would German Lutherans have Saint names for
> their children - or purely ethnic German or cultural
> and  political allegiance types of names?

...  Otto

                     " The Zen moment..." wk. of April 13, 2003-