[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re:"Prussian by Birth

Richard Stein stein at enel.ucalgary.ca
Sun Apr 20 17:56:55 PDT 2003

>From information I have seen about German settlement in the Kujawien Lakes
area, which includes Babiak and Kolo as well as Sompolno which is my
interest, Bob is correct about the first wave of German colonists in the
late 1770s and early 1780s.  This area came under Prussian control in the
second partition of 1793, so the Germans were in fact migrating from one
part of Poland (Posen) to another part of Poland(Babiak, etc.).  The next
wave of colonists in the 1790s and early 1800s came while the area was part
of Prussia and before Napoleon invaded.  I am not so clear on the origin of
the German settlers during this period - I believe this is when the Swabians
came from Wurttemburg, etc.  According to the Sompolno church records, there
seemed to have been an influx of Germans around 1850.  Where did they come
from?

Dick