[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Town name

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 23 08:20:31 PDT 2003

Cannot see anything with that spelling.  However, in modern Germany, there
are at least:

3 Hohenwart

1 Hohenwarte

1 Hohenwarth

1 Hohenwarthe

ShtetlSeeker at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm gives
even more possibilities of these variations.

Keep in mind that Germany did not exist until 1871 so it could have been in
a region that is not within modern German borders.  For example, there was
a Hohenwarte in Silesia.  See http://www.kartenmeister.com/ to find it.

At 11:13 PM 21/04/2003 -0700, Lonnie Scallen wrote:
>Could someone please tell me where Hahenwaite, Germany might be?  I was
>informed by a relative that Gottlieb Lipke was born there on 22 Jan
>1856.  I can't seen to find it on any maps so far.  This is the only
>spelling I have for the town. Thank you in advance for any help.... Lonnie
>Scallen

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca