[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Question for mailing list

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 28 06:08:43 PDT 2003

I am sorry but the news for you is not good.

My maternal HEMMINGER ancestors also lived in Kochanow but they left about
1835.  For you there is a major problem.  The Lutheran records for this
village were kept at the church in Rawa Mazowiecka.  Those records were
probably lost during WW II and no one knows where they are.

Before the Lutheran Church in Rawa was founded in 1828, the Lutherans of
Kochanow were forced to register at the Catholic Church in Gluchow.  An
extraction of those records can be found at
http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/churches/link/kochanow.txt

You will find most of your surnames in those records but, because there is
a one or two generation gap between that time and your earliest ancestor,
you will not be able to make a connection at this time.

Most of the families came with the cloth making migration at around 1803
when the region was still part of South Prussia.  You can find many of
those people listed at http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/census/link/geser.txt
.  Open the page and then use your browser search engine to find the
families you are looking for.  You will often see the specific town from
which they came.

At 01:36 PM 28/04/2003 +0200, Schnurzel.hase at gmx.de wrote:
>I am looking for information on my family. Unfortunately I have only the
>information that they all lived in Erdmannsweiler/Kochanow until the Deutsche
>Wehrmacht evacuated them 1943/1944 and they were scattered all over
>Germany. It
>was always told in my family that some went to the US/Kanada/Australia -
>when exactly I do not know. The families had all immigrated from
>Baden/W|rttemberg/Schwaben Germany 18.. or even before that. I can trace
>back a little bit
>of my grandmother4s side but I do not have any information on my grandfather.
>My family is Lutheran.
>
>Here are some information who can help?
>
>Barbara Oswald 02.10.1817-02.12.1892
>married to Michael Zimmermann 01.11.1832-18.02.1905
>-> daughter Margarete Zimmermann (born in Kochanow) married Karl Wildemann
>(born app. 1860).
>-> son Jakob Wildemann 10.10.1886-Jan 1914 (born in Kochanow)
>-> married to Christine Niethammer and later to her sister Elisabeth
>-> children all born in Kochanow: Alexander, Jakob, Emma, Wanda, Gustav
>My grandmother Emma Wildemann 10.10.1906-04.05.1970 married Otto Wilhelm
>Hundt 01.04.1910-23.12.1972 (mother was a born "Peter",
>later married to "Knodel"; older brother named Adolf Hundt). They had a farm
>in Kochanow.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca