[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Who is related to you in the SGGEE Pedigree database?

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon Aug 4 11:10:01 PDT 2003

To all,

This is not a short email, but if you will please read it anyway, I think
that you will understand better how the SGGEE Pedigree database works, and
what value it is to you.

Many of you are aware that we have a database that we call the SGGEE
Pedigree database.  It currently has over 200,000 names in it.  Slightly
more than half of the records are from original Polish and (to a lesser
extent) original Volhynian records.  The remainder of the names are from
data submitted by SGGEE members from their personal records.

The database is an invaluable research tool, if you chose to use it by
accessing the member area of our website.

In addition, from time to time we determine who in our database is related
by blood or marriage to each of our members with a genealogy program that
marks everyone in the database that is related to a specific person.  We
then send to our members a gedcom file that contains data on all of those
relatives (without the detailed information on anyone who is alive and
under 70 years of age).   I cannot give you statistics on how many of our
members will be sent data in the next few months, because I am currently in
the process of collecting and sending out the data, but the number will be
a significant percentage of our membership.

Sometimes we cannot provide new data to our members from the data that is
currently in the database, since connected data has not yet been
discovered.  However, here is one example of how we helped one of our members:

1.  our member submitted 30 names

2.  our merging of that member's data with other data in our Pedigree
database, linked a total of 3478 people who are either directly related to
that member, or who are the spouses of those related people.

3.   in the data sent to that member, we have determined that or the 3478
relatives, there are the following relatives in the rest of the SGGEE
membership- there is a 4th cousin, a 2nd cousin, two 3rd cousins once
removed.

For those of you who are members of SGGEE, you might have similar
success.  For those of you who are not members of SGGEE, if you have such
success, it will not be because you have chosen to take an easier path.

For those of you who are SGGEE members, and want such success, there are
some things that you need to do to make the process possible

A.  You need to turn in at least a minimal pedigree chart.  There do not
need to be a large number of individuals in the chart, but the more you
have the better chance there will be for us to make a match in data.  If
you do not turn in data, it is akin to trying to win the lottery without
buying a ticket.

B.  You need to include yourself in the pedigree chart.  You can choose to
remain anonymous, but if you do, then we cannot connect you to others in
the database.  If you are worried about privacy, then simply give us your
name with no other data, except how you connect to others in your pedigree
chart.  With only a name, you will show up in the member only website,
whether you are young or old.  If you indicate that you are over 70, then
you will also show up.  If you want to be invisible to everyone except us
who manage the databases at SGGEE, then provide us a birth date that says
you are under 70, and you will only show up as "Living" until that birth
date is 70 years before the current date.  If you want to remain invisible
for 69 years, you can lie and tell us that you were born in 2003.  Without
your name in the database, even if you have won the lottery, we will not be
able to deliver you the prize.

C.  If you are a women, and you have submitted data that includes you,
please let us know what your maiden name is, or we may not be able to tell
who you are in the database.  If that happens, then we also cannot
determine how you are related to anyone else.   Same as B. above, no prize.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Database Manager