[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] New virus attack originating from genealogy sources

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Tue Aug 19 14:38:27 PDT 2003

Once again I feel it important to warn about a virus attack even though I
do not like to use our mailing list for that purpose.  I do so because this
one appears to be genealogy related and may be spoofing a variety of SGGEE
address.

I received over a dozen such virus messages within the space of half an
hour.  All were from one of several SGGEE addresses, Polish archives, LDS
Salt Lake City, etc.

Please remember that these are SPOOFED addresses and are not the true
source of the spreading virus.

As usual, use caution when opening any such mail and do not open the
attachments.  Use common sense.  For example, a message from an SGGEE
source is unlikely to have a subject line like, "That movie".  Other common
subject lines among those I received were:

- Approved
- Your Application
- My Details

No viruses are being distributed by this mail list but it is possible for
the address to be spoofed.  Remember, you can NEVER get an attachment from
our mailing list.  If a message apparently from our mail list has an
attachment, you can know for certain that it is not legitimate.

Once again, keep your virus checkers installed, operating, and up to
date.  If you have any questions or comments, please direct them to me
personally rather than by way of the list.

Thank you.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html