[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schowtobrod

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 25 06:53:37 PDT 2003

My detailed map of the area only shows Sheltyi Brod about 1 km SE of
Protowka Neudorf and Stribeshskij Brod another 2 km to the east.

These appear to be the only villages in the region with the Brod
suffix.  According to my dictionary, a brod is a ford.  My map shows
several streams joining together to form the Stribeshkaja River near by
which later flows into the Scheika River.  These locations must represent
points where these streams can easily be crossed.  It may be that Schowto
is reference to one of the unnamed streams on my map.

At 05:13 PM 24/08/2003 -0700, Ancestors wrote:
>I am going through Lemke records and came across this village "Schowtobrod"?
>Does anyone know of it. It is probably near Protowka, as people were born in
>Schowtobrod and then baptized a few days later in Protowka.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dwayne

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca