[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Volhynian food

Otto otto at schienke.com
Mon Dec 1 12:08:04 PST 2003

What to do with a lump of dough...
Pierogi
SYLLABICATION:
pie7ro7gi

[demime 1.01c removed an attachment of type image/tiff which had a name of image.tiff]
-r

[demime 1.01c removed an attachment of type image/tiff which had a name of image.tiff]

[demime 1.01c removed an attachment of type image/tiff which had a name of image.tiff]

[demime 1.01c removed an attachment of type image/tiff which had a name of image.tiff]
VARIANT FORMS:
also pi7ro7gi
NOUN:
Inflected forms: pl. pierogi also pirogi or pi7ro7gies
A semicircular dumpling with any of various fillings, such as finely
chopped meat or vegetables, that is often sautied after being boiled.
ETYMOLOGY:
Polish, pl. of piersg, dumpling, and Russian pirogi, pl. of pirog.

Piroshki- served as hors d'euvres
-Pirogi are larger versions of piroshki and are served as the entr'ee

Punchkie-Pummelchen-
i.e. deep-fried dough-balls.
My Mom's variety had raisins mixed in with the dough, shaped and
deep-fried to a final size of a tennis ball, and then dusted with
confectioner's sugar. When a young teenager I considered about six of
them to be a proper serving. My Tante Ottilie would serve them along
with crumb kuchen at breakfast time.

Bismarcken-Berliner balen.
Neither Mom or Tante would jelly fill them. . .  even though I've eaten
my share elsewhere,
I feel this is a variation on the theme.

The fruit filled triangles are more like a "plundergeback."

...  Otto

                     " The Zen moment..." wk. of November 30, 2003-