[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] re: cabbage rolls, etc.

Perry1121 at aol.com Perry1121 at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 16:24:45 PST 2003

My mother cooked Kohlroladen (cabbage rolls) and Fleischroladen (meat rollups
with bacon and a dill pickle sliver inside).  Our favorite Pierogen were
filled with little plums, boiled, then sauteed in butter. And we did get
jelly-filled Punchkin.

In another nostalgic vein to see if we have Volhynian connections here:
Sprichwoerter or proverbial folk sayings, often with a moral attached. I couldn't
find my favorites in a German book that collected them that I found in my
university library.

Maister, Ich bin vertig, darf ich trennan? (Master, I'm finished, can I rip
out the seam?)
Morgen, morgen, nur nicht heute, sagen alle faule Leute (Tomorrow, tomorrow,
just not today, say all the lazy people). I heard these frequently from both
parents.

Sigrid Pohl Perry