[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Volhynian food

Milosz Hermanowicz miloszh at libertysurf.fr
Sat Dec 13 13:59:11 PST 2003

Le lundi, 1 dic 2003, ` 17:13 Europe/Paris, Karl Krueger a icrit :

> My Mom, aunt, and other relatives, also made what they called Pirogi
> (or Pirogen as the German variant to signify the plural) but they were
> normally filled with a special cottage cheese more like curd. Maybe
> different regions used different terms for these dishes. My family
> came from near Lublin, Poland.
>
> I thought the cabbage rolls was a German dish my mom made. I never
> liked the Borscht though. What is missing on this menu is a sweet
> pastry - Poonchkie (or Punschken as the Germans seemed to call them).

All of these three meals are traditional polish meals you can eat in
Poland till today. Pirogi (Pierogi in Polish) can bz filled with
potatoes (russian pierogi), cheese (pierogi z serem), meat (pierogi z
miesem) or kapusta (don't know english for that). There are pierogi
with fruits too.
Borscht is I think barszcz, and Poonckie (Pa,czki) were my beloved
sweety when I was child.

Just come to Poland taste all of these food and many many others ! ;-)

Milosz Hermanowicz