[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: where is Poulin??

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 21 09:42:35 PST 2003

Dwayne is correct in suggesting this is most likely Pulin in Volhynia.  Why
this is in someway connected to Warsaw through the brother will require
further research.  It is a known fact that a significant majority of
Germans in Volhynia had their origins in Russian Poland so that could be
the Warsaw connection.  If you post the name of your great uncle, it might
help to jog someone else's memory about the location.  If he was serving in
the Russian military in 1896, it should be possible to find his birth info
IF he was born in Volhynia.  If not born there, it may be that the family
migrated to Volhynia after the birth of some or all of their children.  In
that case Warsaw might be an important clue though not necessarily
definitive as it could refer to the city, province or parish.

I would recommend that you look at a historical atlas to see the border
changes between Poland and Russia between about 1750 and modern
times.  There is no need to get an extensive understanding of the history
but an overview will help you.  I recommend Paul Magosci's, Historical
Atlas of East Central Europe but others will work as well.  You may not
find it in Granite, MB but the library in Beausejour or Winnipeg would
probably have it.

Sorry but I cannot help with military research.  It is not easy to find
such information because of the historical secrecy surrounding the Russian
military but a few people have had some success in getting info.

At 07:29 AM 20/12/2003 -0600, gary and rhonda simpson wrote:
>Seasons greeting everyone!
>I just received the 1940 registration (CDN) for my great uncle.  It gives his
>birth place as Poulin Russia.  I tried Shtetl seeker but there are many
>listed.  The only other clue I have is his brother's naturalization gave his
>birth place as Warshau, Poland.  I though Poulin may be Poland, but on the
>line below it gives Poland for his parents birth place (not town though).
>It also gave him serving from 1896 to 1910 in the Russian military, 85th
>regiment.  I know from family history that he was a payroll train guard during
>the RussoJapanese war.
>My questions are:  Any hints or helps on where Poulin may be, or possibly the
>correct spelling of it?
>and secondly, I tried a google search on "Russia" Military, History, 85th
>regiment but all I get is WWI and WWII stuff.  Are there any good pre WWI
>sites on Russian Military?
>Any assistance greatly appreciated, as this is the only way I'm able to find
>out about my grandmother as she didn't appear to leave any paper trail in
>Canada, so I'm scouting out her brothers.
>Rhonda Simpson

*Please Note NEW Email Address*
My old one will be phased out early in the new year.
Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca