[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of villages

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 23 11:14:44 PST 2003

At 01:48 PM 23/12/2003 -0500, Pilla wrote:
>I am in need of help!!!!!  Our ancestors are originally from Pommern,
>went to Volhynia and then to USA.  I found records of my husbands
>mother in St Petersburg records and it listed Elizbiecin as village
>where she
>was born.  Can't find it anywhere.  What part
>of Volhynia do the St Petersburg records
>cover?  Is this area in Russian Volhynia or Polish Volhynia.  Where is
>the dividing line?
>If I asked these questions before I am sorry but I still have no
>answers.
>Pilla
>not found any answers.

You didn't mention the year of birth.  Volhynia was only split between
Russia and Poland in between the 2 world wars.  Before that, it was all one
province.

Elzbiecin was located about 6 km ENE of Rozyszce which, between the wars,
was in Polish Volhynia.  The village is still there.  Go to
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/x-ussr/ukraine.html , then click on
"Luck".  Next click on section #39.

Enlarge the map if necessary and go to vertical line #82.  Follow that down
to horizontal line #46.  Just below and to the right is Elzbiecin, shown
here as Elizibetin.

The St. Petersburg records cover all of Volhynia but only for the years
1835-1885.  Depending on the time frame, Elzbiecin would have been first in
the Zhitomir parish, later in the Rozyszce parish.

*Please Note NEW Email Address*
My old one will be phased out early in the new year.
Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca