[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] St. Petersburg archives - HARTFIEL, KALISCH (?)

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 2 07:44:35 PST 2003

At 06:55 PM 01/02/2003 +0100, Sandra Hartfiel wrote:
>I found some interesting news in the Volhynia List of Odessa Digital Library
>about my ancestors, but I've got some questions:
>
>On this list I found
>
>HARTFIEL, Gustav +31.5.1882 in Zifeld
>
>as a remark was written "Age 1 year By Kalisch"
>
>Can anyone imagine what "By Kalisch" means? As "By" could be a wrong
>translation for "bei", "Kalisch" could be a location?But shouldn't be
>"Zifeld" the location of his death?

I have not looked at the original copy of the record (which you should do)
but I think that you have an important clue here.  It probably means that
Gustav was born in or near Kalisch.  Kalisch / Kalisz was a town and
Lutheran parish in Russian Poland, west of Lodz.  If Gustav was born there
and died in Zifeld a year later, you also know that they migrated to
Volhynia during that year.  Of course this must be treated as a reasonable
assumption until you can prove it with data from Kalisch.

>NOW... as mothers ot these children were in this list
>
>DALEG, Auguste
>DALCH, Auguste
>DAELG, Auguste
>
>It think, it was just a fault of spelling, or can this be a coincidence?

Perhaps there is a spelling variation in the original records.  You need to
look at the originals to determine this for yourself.

It is also possible that the extractor had trouble reading the original
handwriting.  This would account for variations in the on line
extractions.  Again, the only way to verify this is to look at the originals.

Now that you have a place to search in Russian Poland, you can also
investigate those records to see if you can get a better idea of the
mother's surname.  With any luck, you will find a marriage record.

A list of available microfilms for Kalisch can be found on the SGGEE
website.  There are no extractions for this parish yet.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca