[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reasons for migrating; Was Re: German citizenship

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 4 10:58:30 PST 2003

Adding further to the iffy reasons for migration:

As I have indicated in my presentations at several conferences, it is still
my opinion that the primary motivation for ALL migration is monetary
improvement.

We often here the altruistic reason for the Mennonite migration to Russia -
freedom from military service.  However, I would question how many
Mennonites would have made the trek if the land had not been
free.  Certainly all the other issues lurk in the background as
motivational but how many Germans would have left Russia for North America
if they had not obtained land for $10 per quarter section.  Of course the
post WW I migrants did not get that benefit because most homestead land was
gone by that time but none the less, I am sure that they sought out an
economically improved lifestyle for themselves.

At 10:52 AM 04/02/2003 -0500, Richard Benert wrote:
>While it is very true that our people left Russia for some very
>good reasons, and that among these reasons were the measures the Russian
>government took to make life difficult for the German colonists--indeed, to
>force them out if possible--, there lurks in the back of my mind the fact
>that so many Germans remained there, and that the Russians were still
>complaining about growing German population and land-ownership right up to
>1914.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca