[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re:Schirmer

MARTHA JACOBS msjacobs at flash.net
Sat Feb 15 09:02:31 PST 2003

Have you ever felt like you have bumped your head
against a brick wall until it's bruised and bloody? A
bit exaggerated.  I am looking for any information on
HERMANN SCHIRMER.  His app. for citizenship states he
came to the USA June 16th, 1882.  Landed at Baltimore
and came to Texas, the San Antonio area.  Always
thought my father was one of five children, until I
found them the 1910 census.  It states there were ten
children.  They came to this country with three, and
two more were born here.  Who and where are the other
five? A ships passenger list would at least tell me if
some died on the way over. I cannot find him on any
passenger list.  Herman, one n was used after they got
here, was also supposedly one of many sibblings, can
only acount for five who followed him to the USA.  He
was born in Schwarmitz, Germany which was then right
on the border with Poland.  It is now Scwerznica,
Poland.  In 1998 we went to this little village and
found nothing, it's only a wide place in the road.  We
researched the Catholic church in Trepshen, the only
church there and the priest told us there were no
records from the past there. But he could not tell us
where we might find such records..  Where do I go from
here? I have searched every place that I get a clue to
look and can not find anything more.  Do not know his
father's name. He was married to Ellenora Ottlieb. He
was born 3/6/1850.  Died 1/27/1922 in Bexar county,
Texas. Burial records list only his wife and living
sons.

I'm hoping someone out there can give me additional
clues.  Perhaps some of our German listers.  I can
read German so that kind of answer would be no
problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martha, Pleasanto, Texas