[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migration route Poland to Volhynia

Richard Stein stein at enel.ucalgary.ca
Sat Feb 15 09:35:29 PST 2003

>From my reading of the information available, it appears that several
thousand German families migrated to Volhynia in the 1860s and 1870s from
the Kujawien Lakes area of Poland.  There must have been a main route that
many followed.  I would appreciate any information on the location of this
route from, for example, Sompolno to the area of Lutsk, Volhynia.  The most
direct route would seem to be through Lodz, Radom, Lublin, Chelm and on into
Volhynia.  Is it correct to assume that they travelled by horse and wagon
with their belongings, or did some travel by train?  If the latter, what
would be the route?  If by horse and wagon, I wonder how long it would have
taken.  The straight-line distance is about 500 km.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Dick Stein
stein at enel.ucalgary.ca
Researching:  Stein, Riske, Kitzmann, Schachtschneider, Rachui, Abram, Drews