[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Parish archive holdings

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 16 12:52:13 PST 2003

Oskar Kossmann puts the villages of Sokolowy Kat and Debki (just to the NW
of Wojciechowo) in Bezirk Mlawa so I would suggest you start there.  It is
a somewhat remote region though relative to parish centres.

Many of the records filmed by the LDS are actually civil records collected
on behalf of the government by the churches.  It is possible therefore that
the locals registered at the nearest Catholic Church rather than travel the
longer distance to the Lutheran Church.

No guarantees though.  You could even end up having to look at Plock records.

At 08:59 PM 15/02/2003 -0500, ednadill at aol.com wrote:
>Would someone venture an opinion to my query?  I want to order some films
>from the LDS to look for my ggrandmothers parents.  She lived in Wojciechowo.
>  Since this village is between three parishes-Sierpc, Mlawa and Plonsk which
>would make the most sense to order?  Does the theory usually tend to be of
>the "shortest" distance from where the individuals lived, since traveling
>wasn't easy?  Or would it make more sense to say that the number of villages
>passed through made it easier to "pass the time" while they traveled.  My
>point being this, from Wojciechowo to Sierpc seems to be the shortest
>distance but with relatively few villages in between.  However Mlawa and
>Plonsk are farther but have a greater number of villages to pass through.
>Just a thought.  I'm trying to streamline the amount of films I order to make
>the most of the time sitting at the machine.  The LDS library in my area has
>only one machine and is "rented" at two hour blocks.  Two hours fly by very
>fast!  Thanks for any theories you all might have.
>Regards,
>Erik Dill

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca