[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place Names: Jitomuv Volhynia and Rusterchietz Poland

Jan Textor textor at oncable.dk
Wed Feb 19 00:29:55 PST 2003

John F. Rauchert wrote:

> I have recently begun to tracing my family tree back to Eastern
> Europe and came across these place names:
>
> Jitomuv said to be in Volhynia and Rusterchietz said to be in Poland
>
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has come across these names
> (in one form or another).
>

> John F. Rauchert, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
> Researching RAUCHERT, HENKE, SCHLESE, RAPSCH, LITTKE
> jfrauchert at shaw.ca

John,
I don't know anything about Jitumov, but "Rusterschietz" is correctly
spelled Rosterschuetz (umlaut u), and is called Wladyslawow in Polish. This
town was founded in 1727 very close to the already existing village of
Russocice at the coordinates 52.06'N 18.29'E. It was the oldest German
clothmaker town in Central Poland. The Lutheran parish there was established
in 1776.

Hope this helps,
Jan Textor, Denmark