[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Grams

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 19 08:32:19 PST 2003

        If you wish to start looking for Volhynian connections for your GRAMS family, a good place to start would be on the SGGEE web site  www.sggee.org and then clicking on Surname Database Links.  You will find all the currently available St Petersburg Volhynian church records for the three Lutheran parishes up to 1885.    This may not be the total answer because of the time frame you mention.   Similar Volhynian records (1886 to WW1) , are not filmed, although they are believed to exist in St Petersburg as well.
    There are 2 or 3 hundred GRAM names in other SGGEE web site databases from mainly German Lutheran church records from Poland which may be of possible interest but you  need to be a member of SGGEE to access them.
    The GRAMS family in Europe was/is widespread, from Germany through Poland and Volhynia, so establishing accurate initial connections is a painstaking task indeed as I have discovered.

John Marsch
SGGEE

  Hello everybody,

  I'm new to this list and the reason for subscribing is because I'm doing
  research on my biological grandfather Daniel Grams, who was born at december
  20th 1909 in a village called Sadombrowa (spelling variants: Zadombrow(a),
  Zadabrowa) which is located in Volhynia, Ukraone. Our family always thought
  that he was born in Kaliningrad (and that's about all we knew about him untill
  this week), so it was quit a surprise when I received a letter last week from
  the Deutsche Dienststelle (he was a soldier during WOII) which stated that his
  place of birth was a (for me) totally unknown village. Fortunatelly, Jerry
  Frank (moderator / list-owner?) helped me out and now I know it's exact
  location.

  My theory about him now is that his parents / ancestors are a German-Polish
  settler-family that came originally from Kvnigsberg / Kaliningrad and moved
  during the end of the 19th century in eastern direction where they stayed near
  or in Sadombrowa where my grandfather was born. Asking you all, experts on
  this subject, is this a theory that sounds reasonable? Any other ideas or
  theories?

  After surfing and browsing some resources on the subject, I've noticed that
  there are a lot of 'Grams' in this area, so that makes it more difficult to do
  some genealogy research on him and his family. Any suggestions where I should
  start? Any other information on the Grams-family in this part of Volhynia?

  Any info is welcome!

  Kindly regards,

  Hugo