[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Littke in Zhitomir

Jsalido at aol.com Jsalido at aol.com
Wed Feb 19 15:39:51 PST 2003

Hi,
       If your "Jitomuv" does turn out to be Zhitomir, this might be of
interest to you.
       Before my grandfather, Eduard Meier, came to the US in 1911, he had to
provide a letter of recommendation for some reason.  Since I can't read the
German longhand writing, I'm not sure what it's all about, except for
verifying that he had good character.  It is signed by his pastor, R.
Deringer, and several of his villager friends also signed it.  The name of
one of them was Heinrich Littke.  The official stamp says Zhitomir.  Do you
have a Heinrich Littke in Zhitomir (or the village of Scheresowka in Volhynia
on 31 May 1911?
       Let me know please.  Among the other villagers who signed the paper
were August Chanebauer,  Daniel Nass, and Adolf Rosien.  I can only guess at
the other signatures.
       Thank you for reading this.
                   Jeanne
                   jsalido at aol.com