[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sadombrowa [was: Grams]

Jan Textor textor at oncable.dk
Thu Feb 20 04:20:08 PST 2003

Hugo,
I'm unable to give you any suggestions as to the location of your "Sadombrowa", but I would like to clarify what Zada~browa, Zada~browie etc. could mean. In Polish, Da~browa means oak wood (forest, grove). Therefore, Zada~browie originally could have meant "the village behind the oak wood", and then the name just stuck even if the oak wood disappeared.

Hope you will find the village you are looking for.
Jan Textor, Denmark