[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kappeln near Graetz in Posen

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 05:38:08 PST 2003

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I thought I would give you a hard question to start with. My brother-in-law has been pulling his hair out trying to find where the town is that my sister was born in. She was born in 1942 during the Umsiedlung. Her birth certificate says it was in the town of Kappeln which is by Graetz. It is unclear whether "Graetz" is referring to the city or the district of Posen.

My mother and family were located very close to my grandfather's family (if not the same town) and I know through our grandfather's Einbuergerungs-Urkunde (plus some notes in my aunt's photo album) that they were situated in/near Kuslin (which I can find) plus my great-uncle's Urkunde show they were situated in/near Opalinica. So Kappeln has to exist in this restricted region.

Doing desparate searches on the web I found reference to at least one other person who was born in Kappeln, Posen in 1943 so this name shows up elsewhere. I believe it is a very small collection of houses/farms that has changed names since Poland aquired this region. My goal is to attempt to identify the current Polish town Kappeln corresponds to.

Thank you, Karl Krueger