[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sadombrowa [was: Grams]

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 20 06:09:55 PST 2003

If you follow through now and check the surnames, and further, the full
names of parents associated with this list of places, it will become clear
to you that these are all variant spellings of the same place.

I further point to the 1880 birth record of Pauline Koser, daughter of
Daniel Koser and Christine Goll.  This person is not related to you but the
entry holds a valuable clue.  For some reason it is double entered in the
church books.  In one case the place of birth is given as Sadombrow
(Sadombrowa) and in the other Olschanow (Olszanow).  The villages are only
2 km apart and perhaps they lived halfway between.

You can go another step and for all the entries, check the villages of
birth records both before and after those for Sadombrowa.  You will find
them grouped around this general area.  I am 100% convinced that we have
the right place and that there is no need to consider Dombrowa as a variant.

Sometimes it is necessary to broaden the scope of possibilities for a place
name as Guether suggested.  However, in this case I am convinced we already
have the right place and there is no need for further investigation.  Be
aware also that Dabrowa has a diacritic hook under the first "a".  That is
why Jan shows it as Da~browa in his posting.  Such a letter carries an "om"
sound to it so it sounds like Dombrowa and is often transliterated that
way.  This is also why Zadabrowa can be considered equal to Zadombrowa.