[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ziemer and Chodecz

Edelgard Strobel udostrobel at surfeu.de
Thu Feb 20 23:45:01 PST 2003

Hi Al,

there is a difference in the meaning of Zimmer and Ziemer in German:
Zimmer is 1. an occupation name to middlehigh German zimber, zimmer for a
building made out of wood, for the carpenter (Zimmermann)
2. it can originate from the place name Zimmern (Baden-W|rttemberg, Bavaria,
Thuringia) Herrenzimmern, Frauenzimmern, D|rrenzimmern etc.
A Nickel Czymer is mentioned in 1407 in Altenburg, Thuringia.

Ziemer: 1. a low German-Frisian form of Siemer, which is a shortform of the
given name Siegmar.
2. occupation name for a bird catcher. Ziemer means a Krammetsvogel, a kind
of a bird, I believe sth. like a thrush.

Greetings,

Edelgard