[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Questions about Polish and Russian Research

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Fri Feb 21 22:36:10 PST 2003

Hi Bill, Dolly,

> Bieniew, Gem. Ilow, ev. Church = Wyszogrod, KB in Poland:
> ~, oo, + 1826-1895 in: Archiwum Panstwowe w Plocku
>                        ul. Wieczorka 11
>                        PL 09-400 PLOCK

My interpretation is as follows:

Bieniew is a village which belonged to the parish of Ilow, which belonged to
the larger Lutheran Church organization (diocese?) headquartered at
Wyszogrod.  Church records for christenings (baptisms), marriages and deaths
for the years 1826-1895 are stored in the Regional Archives in Plock, Poland
at the address given.  The abbreviation "ul." stands for the Polish word
"ulica" which means "street".  The Polish put the word "ulica" in front of
the street name and the street number at the very end.  The code immediately
in front of the city name of Plock (PL 09-400) is the Polish post code for
that section of the city.  To send a letter to this archive, address the
front of your letter as follows:

Archiwum Panstwowe w Plocku
ul. Wieczorka 11
PL 09-400 Plock
POLAND

> Wischehnen, Kreis Fischhausen/Ostpreu_en; heute Ru_land, ev. K. +
> Standesamt = Medenau. KB vorhanden ~, oo, + 1676-1875 in Leipzig:

> Saechsisches Staatsarchiv Leipzig
> Abt. Deutsche Zentralstelle fuer Genealogie
> Schongauer Str. 1
> D-04329 Leipzig

Wischehnen is a village in the district (similar to our counties) of
Fischhausen in the former province of East Prussia, but which today belongs
to Russia.  Lutheran records and records from the office of vital statistics
in the town of Medenau are held at the archives in Leipzig.  They contain
christenings, marriages, and deaths for the years 1676-1875.  The address for
the archive is given immediately below.  To send a letter to this archive,
address your envelope as follows:

Saechsisches Staatsarchiv Leipzig
Abt. Deutsche Zentralstelle fuer Genealogie
Schongauer Str. 1
D-04329 Leipzig
GERMANY

The German word "strasse" means street, and the street number is given last.
The code D-04329 is the German equivalent of a post code.

    If you are seeking records for these villages which fall between these
dates, you can write to the addresses given for more information.  I should
also tell you that many of the records held in the Plock archive have been
microfilmed and are available at Family History Centers throughout the world.
 Some records have not been microfilmed, and I would encourage you to check
out what's available locally before writing to one of the archives directly.
You can expect to pay for any information that they send you, and it will not
be cheap.  The German archives typically charge by the hour with a minimum
fee of one hour's time (up to $20 per hour).  The Polish archives will be
even more expensive.  Good luck!

    -Paul