[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help with village name

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 23 07:56:11 PST 2003

The phrase is probably "im Koenigreich Polen" - the Kingdom of Poland.

The only easily identifiable place is Lentschuetz which is L~e~cyca at
about east 19/12 and north 52/04.  The ~ symbol represents the fact that
the preceding letter has a diacritic symbol not easy to reproduce.  At
least this narrows down the region.

I cannot locate any place called Slawatka and cannot guess at an
alternative. However, for Raddkusch I would suggest the possibility of
Radogosze which was located on the road between Lodz and Zgierz, about 30
km SE of Lentschuetz.  Today this location is inside Lodz city limits so
you might not find it on modern maps.  In 1805, however, Lodz was
significantly smaller than Lentschuetz so the village may have been
considered in the Lentschuetz region.

I also browsed my maps in that area rather than relying on indices.  The
closest I could find to Slawatka was Slowik Holendry a few km north of
Zgierz but that really doesn't seem like a good fit.

At 05:11 PM 22/02/2003 -0800, Robin Deems wrote:
>Hi all.  I need some expert help!  I have a death record of my G+ grandfather,
>Andreas Bauch, born 1772, died 1847 in Tarutino, Bessarabia.
>
>As near as I can tell, the "born in" section says:
>
>"im Koenig nich Polen im Dorfen Slawatka"
>
>I have tried everything I know to find a village Slawatka, but nothing seems
>to fit.  In an old church Family Book, one of his sons is listed as being born
>in Raddkusch.  Yet another says Lentschuetz.  I believe they emigrated from
>Germany to Poland, and may have moved a few times before they landed in
>Bessarabia in 1815.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca