[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migration to Volhynia

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 23 18:41:25 PST 2003

I don't know about an on line source but there is an excellent map of this
on page 91 of "Historical Atlas of East Central Europe" by Paul
Magocsi.  If this excellent book is not in your public library, tell the
librarian that it should be.  Or, purchase it at
http://www.genealogyunlimited.com

I have not seen any stories about migration into Volhynia using train but
certainly most people would have used it to get to a port when leaving
(unless of course they didn't have the proper papers to allow them to clear
the borders in which case they would have used horses and wagons).

It would appear from the atlas that the rail lines through Volhynia were
built between about 1866 and 1884.

At 08:41 AM 23/02/2003 -0800, Lloyd Friedrick wrote:
>Recently, there has been some discussion in regard to migration routes of G-R
>from other areas to Volhynia. Someone even referred to the length of time it
>would take with a wagon pulled by horses or oxen.
>
>This raises the question of railroad development throughout this area.
>
>The building of railroads would have had a tremendous effect on settlement as
>it did in North America. Has anyone done any research on this?
>
>I haven't found a good Website on this yet, but perhaps someone on the list
>could help.
>
>lloyd friedrick on Vancouver's Island in British Columbia

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca