[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Questions

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 23 19:20:28 PST 2003

You have to be careful about being definitive about a place location unless
you have corroborating evidence.  Your Cholm stands alone without anything
to relate it to except Russia - a VERY big place.  If the spelling is
accurate, then the one you found appears to be the only readily
identifiable one and would be a good place to start your search.

However, there is indeed also Chelm in Russian Poland - in fact there are
at least 6 of them in modern Poland, most in former Russian territory.  One
of these is located, according to
http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm at north 54/04 east
20/32.  This is in former East Prussia (not Russia) only 16 km from where I
told you to check for Bieniewo in East Prussia.

So you see, trying to figure out which is the right one without additional
info is very difficult.

In the case of Bieniew, Lubin, you have 2 place names together, the second
of which would normally be a regional or parish designation, or perhaps a
larger nearby town.  The Bieniew located on the south bank of the Wisla
River is nowhere near any such parish or administrative district or town.

As for Wischehnen, I believe I gave the coordinates in my last message
which I found using  http://www.kartenmeister.com/  They are north 54/46
east 20/07.  I haven't located it on a map but it should be in the vicinity
of 7 km ENE of Primorsk which was formerly known as Fischhausen (see
http://feefhs.org/maps/gere/ge-eprus.html )

At 05:00 PM 23/02/2003 -0600, Dolly Hauf wrote:
>I see that I made a mistake on one of the names in Russia, on a former post.
>It should be Cholm, not Chom. I have been looking on the net at maps today,
>and don't know too much about the distance from one place to another. I have
>found at one site Cholm (Kholm) is at Lat. 571500 and Long. 311833 and says it
>is 262 m. wnw of Moscow. Don't know if this is the same one, but I have found
>a map of Russia, Polish Provinces from 1902 on the net, and I see a Kholm down
>near Lublin. I also see a Lubien (I was looking for Bieniew, Lubin) up farther
>sw of Plock. Are they fairly close, and where would I search for more info?
>
>  The other place I was looking for was Wischehnen. I don't see it but the
> full
>name of place I am looking for is Wischehnenn Kreis Samland, E. Prussia. On a
>different map of East Prussia in 1920, I see Fischhsn (Hard to read). Over
>this whole area is printed  Samland. The info that I had posted mentions
>Fischhausen also. This is in the Konigsberg area.
>
>Any more  ideas on searching any of the three places? Or does anyone know the
>best films that I should try to get at LDS?
>
>Dolly Hauf

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca