[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migration to Volhynia

Kaycee4759 at aol.com Kaycee4759 at aol.com
Mon Feb 24 06:33:38 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/23/03 9:43:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, jkfrank at shaw.ca
writes:

> (unless of course they didn't have the proper papers to allow them to clear
> the borders in which case they would have used horses and wagons).

I have wondered about why my father didn't take the train as his brother
Wilhelm Redmann and family did in 1910 when they emigrated to Brazil. My
father (Albert Redmann) told my older brother that he traveled by wagon at
night and slept in barns in the daytime when he traveled to Bremen from
Volhynia in 1912. My father's other brother, Adolph Redmann, "escaped from
Ukraine" (oral history from his daughter, my cousin) to Germany with his
family around 1914. In 1924, they emigrated to Brazil from Germany. Three
brothers, each with a different story about their leaving Volhynia. My father
was the only one who came to the US.

Joanne Redman Johnson