[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: PLOCK AREA - Moravian Connections

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Wed Jan 1 22:03:13 PST 2003

Hi, Justin - I am responding to your note re the name of FREIHEIT and the
comments given earlier from Bob Radke that asked if the person you were
asking about - Julian FREIHEIT may have been a member of the Moravian
Brethren.  I happen to have a copy of the book "Brief History of the
Brudergemeine in Poland 1800-1945" so did look for the surname.  Perhaps the
following names may have meaning to you.  In the information of the Maschewo
congregation during the 1940's were names of the Moravan Lay Workers.  On the
list were Wilhelm Freiheit and Johann Freiheit.  Do these names connect for
you?  Johann is noted as the Director of Band, and Wilhelm as Director of
Choir.  Also listed under the Directors of Children's Classes is the name of
Olga Freiheit.  The article on the church at Maschewo includes the statement
that the Freiheit's founded a number of choirs and bands in Moravian and
Lutheran churches in the area.  A hugh musical festival was presented in a
large Lutheran church in Gombin in 1937 with the band being directed by
Johann Freiheit.
It also said that the first Moravian band in Poland was formed in Maschewo in
1875.

A number of us who have researched families involved with the Moravian faith
in Poland and in Volhynia are hoping to present a session on this subject at
the August convention of SGGEE in Edmonton.  I will hope you might consider
coming on up for this weekend.  I am from the Chicago area and have come last
few years to meet many interesting people and learn so much of my husband's
family background that came out of the Poland and Volhynian areas.  There
will be several interesting materials that you may be interested in seeing
that will be on display in the Research Room.  Check the SGGEE website for
more details on this convention.  A program agenda will be available sometime
in the spring.

Sincerely,
Virginia Less
Researcher for husband's family of Bergstraesser/Vogel, Freidemann, and
Less/Fischer, all out of Volhynia before immigrating to U.S. and Canada