[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The name Markowitz

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Jan 2 14:39:41 PST 2003

Fred & Ima Jean Markowitz schrieb:

>The Markowitz clan I am speaking about here were devout Catholics and most
>remain so.  Their old language was German.  It seems that outside of
>this Markowitz clan, almost all with that surname are Jewish.

Hello Fred & Ima Jean,
1. Markowitz [Markowice] is the name of two villages in the Ratibor
district, Upper Silesia and Strelno district, Posen province of late
Prussia. Surenames frequently derive from the village or town of origin.

2. If the name comes from Markowicz (English spelling Markovich, German
spelling Markowitsch), it could be either a patronymic (i.e. son of
Mark) deriving from a frequently used jewish name (in spite of being a
Roman name and a christian apostle) since Saint Marks symbol is the lion
and the symbol of the state of Juda was the lion either.

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany