[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] FREIHEIT, FERCHAU, WITT

JUSTIN L DINGMAN jld4321 at juno.com
Fri Jan 3 18:07:12 PST 2003

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Since I have received many, I addressed it this way.
I think that I have had some interesting responses to my inquiries, but
in regard to Lipowiec and the site of the Freiheit farm, I believe that
Ruth Witt Jensen and the German cousins (descendants of Julius and
descendants of Amelia) have it placed correctly.  They drove there and
feel
that the information from their families have accurately established the
site, just to the west Highway 619, which connects Plock and Ciechanow.
Amelia Freiheit Schultz lived in the Lipowiec area near her Freiheit
relatives after she married, but her daughter Natalie married into the
Ferchau family who lived about 15 miles to the east of Ciechanow on Route
60 in a town called Ciemniewo.  Ruth's mother Emma Ferchau was born in
Lipowiec before her family moved to Ciemniewo to live near the other
Ferchau relatives.  Of course, all those families were uprooted and sent
as
refugees to the interior of Russia prior to and during WWI.  Ruth's
father
was also born in Lipowiec before his parents decided to immigrate to
America.  Lillian told me that they felt that they had possibly found the
German cemetery, but the stones were not readable.

I have also been told that the name Freiheit is fairly common in Germany.
As far as finding other Freiheits from Poland, I would think that this
might be possible. Great-grandfather did not discuss any uncles he might
had
(or aunts either)--at least not to my knowledge or my cousin Laurel.  I
would think that there might be possibility of uncles, however, as family
frequently had many
children.
Back to the FERCHAU: As stated above the FERCHAU were forceably displaced
from Poland and sent to SIBERIA prior to WWI.  Descendants living in
Germany.
Emma Ferchau born 27 Nov 1905 Lipowiec, Poland; father Ferdinand Ferchau
and Natalie (SCHULTZ) Ferchau married to Herman WITT, born 25 Mar 1905
Lipowiec, Poland Father Karl Khristian Witt born 31 May 1862 Lipowiec,
Poland and Juliana FREIHEIT, born 21 Jun 1868 Leschin, Poland.

I am glad  that my inquiries have produced interesting responses.  I
made some inquiries regarding Lipke's in Pomerania, but I have received
nothing sensible.

Thanks ladies and gentlemen for your inputs to this list.  I thank one
and all for being so thoughtful and delighted to help.

Respectfully,

JUSTIN L DINGMAN