[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Bodyguard of the Czar

Kaycee4759 at aol.com Kaycee4759 at aol.com
Sat Jan 4 11:05:08 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/3/03 10:08:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, jld4321 at juno.com
writes:

> I was told that a relative by the Name of KARL LIPKE was a bodyguard for
> the Czar and that he received the Iron Cross.

My uncle, WILHELM REDMANN, was a member of the elect guard that guarded Czar
Nicholas II. He had been conscripted to serve for 4 years. When the Czar's
son Alexis was born, the Czar granted my uncle his release from the Russian
army after serving only 3 years as a tribute to the event. I have a copy of a
picture of my uncle and the others who served with him in their uniforms. It
is a group picture. My uncle emigrated to Brazil in 1910 with his wife and 3
children. He lived there until his death at age 93 in 1978.

My husband and I will once again travel to Santa Rosa, Brazil in February for
a REDMANN family reunion. Many Volyhenian Germans emigrated to Brazil. My 2
uncles and an aunt were among them.

I have copies of the church records from the EV. Lutheran Church in Santa
Rosa, Brazil listing marriages, births, and deaths (1910-1911) of many of the
families that had emigrated from Volhynia.

Joanne Redman Johnson
1st Generation in USA