[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] WW-I Deportation from Central Poland

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Sat Jan 4 10:35:34 PST 2003

There is a brief treatment of the expulsion from Poland in 1914-15 in Eric
Lohr, "Enemy Alien Politics Within the Russian Empire During World War I", a
Ph.D. thesis at Harvard, 1999.  It should be coming out as a book one of
these days.

It is not possible to specify with any exactness where refugees from central
Poland (or anywhere else, for that matter) were sent, at least until further
research is done in the archives, and even then it will be incomplete
because the Russians kept only cursory records of the event.  When Germans
were expelled from Poland, they were given a deadline before which they
could "voluntarily" leave Poland at their own expense, although they
received a travel document telling them their destination.  If they didn't
meet the deadline, they were forced out and had to travel under armed guard.
(Lohr says that the incredible number of refugees clogging the railroads
soon led the military to curtail the armed guards since their weren't enough
personnel available to handle all the refugees.  So apparently, some who
didn't meet the deadline were allowed to travel without armed guard.  Not
that it made much difference!)

As to the destinations to which they were sent, Lohr indicates that the
governors of Astrakhan, Saratov, Smolensk, Khar'kov, Tomsk and Ufa were soon
(late 1914, early 1915) complaining that they couldn't possibly handle all
the refugees being directed at their provinces.  The refugees arrived in
groups of 500 to 1000, sick and impoverished.  The Interior Ministry did
provide 200,000 Rubles to help the governors, but another solution was
suggested by the Ministry--to allow the refugees to choose their own
destination!  Whether this directive was followed, I do not know.  People
were allowed to apply for exemption.  Some governors were relatively
generous (like the gov. of Lublin, who granted 1,399 exemptions-out of a
total of 1,969 for all of Poland--to sick people and families of active
soldiers), while others were not.  The governor of Lomzha deported 3,420 and
granted only 40 exemptions.

Lohr's brief account is hardly definitive.  He says nothing, for example,
about people who travelled by wagon.  His account is based solely on
archival information.  But it is useful insofar as it goes.  Look for the
book to come out!

In addition to Lohr's book, another book that should be interesting to
anyone wondering about what might have happened to expelled relatives is
Peter Gatrell, "A Whole Empire Walking.  Refugees in Russia During World War
I", (Indiana U., recent--not sure of the year).

Dick Benert