[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: sakhalin island, I believe in Russia

Stephen H Karlson ta0shk1 at corn.cso.niu.edu
Sun Jan 12 14:00:19 PST 2003

It's a long way from Minsk and Pinsk ... Sakhalin is part of the Japanese
island formations (was in fact divided between Japan and Russia until the
Red Army declared war on Japan and occupied the south half while the
government was dealing with the reality of nukes going off over the Home
Islands).  A Korean Air plane strayed over Sakhalin in the fall of 1983
and the Sovs shot it down, you might remember the incident.  Should be
able to find most of the larger towns on a decent world atlas.

Sakhalin is now open to visitors.  I saw a rail enthusiast's slides once,
imagine Japanese style trains with Soviet style markings.

> Was wondering if anybody out there could give me a address for the web to find
> out here Sakhalin Island is, & on that Island is suppose to be a town Yuzhno
> Sakhalinsk???

Stephen Hopkins Karlson
(researching Kalbes and variants, Samsel and variants, Walki to Wisconsin)