[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Poland Map

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 14 21:22:29 PST 2003

While your question appears to be short and simple, there are several
points that need to be dealt with.

First - you want an English map.  The only maps I have ever seen of Poland
(aside from US Army maps) are in German, Polish, or Russian.  Generally
speaking, it is fairly easy to figure out what you are looking at and to
read the place names which should be the same in any language (with the
exception that Germany occupied a lot of Poland and changed numerous places
to Germanic sounding names).

Second, what detail are you expecting from a wall or folded size map?  At
1;750,000 scale, typical for a map of that size, you will not find much
detail and many villages are not included.  Such maps are available in
larger bookstores.  In order to get enough detail to show most of the
villages, you need at the very least a 1:300,000 map but better would be
1:200,000.  Going to 1:100,000 or better will get you virtually every
village.  However, to get these in a wall map would require a wall about
7.5ft wide x 7 ft. high for 1:300,000 or 13 ft x 11.5 ft. for 1:200,000.

Third, perhaps you meant to ask for only a part of Poland rather than the
whole thing.  Such maps are available from Genealogy Unlimited or the
Library of Congress, as already mentioned in other responses.

I think the Library of Congress will provide free copies of parts of maps
that show a specific village you want.  However, for a complete map of the
size you are talking you will have to pay.

At 04:22 PM 14/01/2003 -0600, Dick Rossin wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can obtain a map of Poland from around 1900 that has
>the names of the towns and villages in English? I would prefer a wall map but
>a folded map will do. Thanks for any info.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca