[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GERMAN CITIZENSHIP MAINTAINED?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 29 08:43:08 PST 2003

At 08:46 AM 29/01/2003 -0500, Ingrid Abram wrote:
>My mother-in-law said her father, Karl Heinrich Heinemann,
>born 1861 in Tuczin, Wolhynia, had citizenship from Leipzig
>which allowed his children to go to Germany after their
>Siberian excile.
>
>Have not been able to document this.  Is this true for others
>from Wolhynia?  Or is it possible he served in the German Army
>before his marriage?

I have heard stories about some people who moved from Prussian parts of
Germany to Volhynia and then returning for a brief time to fulfill some
form of military obligation.  However, I don't think that would apply to
someone who was born in Volhynia.  He would be obligated to Russian
military service, not German.  Not saying it couldn't have happened but I
don't think it would be the norm.

Obviously Karl would not have had any rights by birth to citizenship in
Leipzig.  However, Germans have often been very liberal about allowing
their emigrants to return to the homeland.  As you probably know, in the
post Glasnost era, Germans from Siberia and Kazahkstan were / are allowed
to return if they can prove their German lineage, can speak the language,
etc.  I don't know what stipulations may have been in place in your time
frame (I am assuming pre WW I because of Karl's age) but, as long as he
could get out of Russia, it was probably fairly easy to return to Germany.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca